World Oral Health Day is observed on the 20th of March every year. It is a global campaign aimed at creating awareness about the importance of oral health and the need to promote good dental hygiene practices. We are reminded of the crucial role that oral health plays in our overall well-being, from preventing tooth decay and gum disease to reducing the risk of heart disease and diabetes. In this blog post, you’ll learn about effective ways to care for your oral health and maintain a beautiful smile all year round.
What Can Adults Do to Maintain Good Oral Health?
- Drink fluoridated water and brush with fluoride toothpaste.
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brush teeth thoroughly twice a day and floss daily between the teeth to remove dental plaque.
- Visit your dentist at least once a year, even if you have no natural teeth or have dentures.
- Do not use any tobacco products. If you currently smoke, you need to quit.
- Limit alcoholic drinks.
- If you have diabetes, work to maintain control of the disease. This will decrease risk for other complications, including gum disease. Treating gum disease may help lower your blood sugar level.
- If your medication causes you to have a dry mouth, ask your doctor for a different medication that may not cause this condition. If dry mouth cannot be avoided, drink plenty of water, chew sugarless gum, and avoid tobacco products and alcohol.
- See your doctor or a dentist if you have sudden changes in taste and smell.
- When acting as a caregiver, help older individuals brush and floss their teeth if they are not able to perform these activities independently.